TOURISM IN VAUXHALL


Throstles Nest

The efforts to secure Vauxhall in Tourism as a viable and sustainable means of encouraging increased regeneration of the Scotland Road and Vauxhall area has been given a big boost by news that the Throstles Nest Pub has been extensively refurbished and continues to provide excellent Bed and Breakfast facilties which will enable people to appreciate at close quarters the history and heritage of this famous part of Liverpool. The Scottie Press website has been adding information about Scotland Road and surrounding areas to its Projects section 'Tourism in Vauxhall' webpage. This information shows why Scotland Road was and is so world famous.

Visitor Centre

The Throstles Nest Hotel dates back to 1881 and in those times it was very much a hotel with many people staying at the Throstles Nest prior to departing for America, Australia and many other parts of the world. The name of the Hotel was chosen as at one time Throstles nested in the grounds of St Anthony's Church, which is right next door. Also next door to the Throstles Nest Hotel is the St Anthony's Church Visitor Centre and the restored monument to Dandy Pat Byrne.

airants.jpg - 49k

We picture an aerial photograph of the Throstles Nest Hotel and St Anthony's Church and encourage readers to view a website about the Hotel www.throstlesnesthotel.co.uk

British Titanic Society Annual Convention

Titanic

With the British Titanic Society holding their Annual Convention in Liverpool in April 2006 the Scottie Press is making efforts to advise the organisers that Scotland Road has a connection with the famous White Star Line Ship. It is acknowledged that the longest alleyway on the Titanic's E Deck was known as Scotland Road. This information and more is featured on our Projects section - Tourism in Vauxhall webpage. Click Here!


TOURISM IN VAUXHALL

On Friday 26th August the second of what are trial bus tours to promote the Tourism in Vauxhall Project took to the road. Almost 40 people boarded the bus at the Vauxhall Millennium Resource Centre, and among those on the tour were Louise Ellman MP, Linda McDermott and Jenny Collins (Radio Merseyside), Eileen Willshaw (Liverpool Culture Company), Heather Quinn and Alison Pollard (National Museums Liverpool), John Oakley (Neighbourhood Management Team), John Studholme (Special Initiatives Regeneration) and Ian Harvey and Peter Bembridge (Civic Trust).

As with the previous bus tour the places visited were; St Mary of the Angels Church, The Everton Toffee, St Anthony’s Church Crypt, Awesome Walls (formerly St Alban’s Church), the Dock Road, Stanley Dock – Tobacco Warehouse, Hannah May Thom Statue (Holy Cross), Eldon Grove, the Lee Jones Centre and the Stanley Locks and Canal Bird Life Project (Leeds & Liverpool Canal).

Louise Ellman MP and Staff

Pictured on the banks of the canal near to Lightbody Street Bridge is Louise Ellman MP who is joined on the photograph by members of her staff, Julie Lloyd and Rob Carney. Also photographed is Leo Bellier who has been gaining work experience in the MP’s Constituency Office. Leo, who lives in Brittany told the Scottie Press that he had wished he’d known about the many interesting things to see in the Scotland Road and Vauxhall area as he could have shown them when his parents visited him in Liverpool.

It is planned to have more of these trial bus tours in 2005 in order that the Tourism in Vauxhall Project can be up and running in 2006. If you would like to know more about the Tourism in Vauxhall Project please contact Ron at the Scottie Press 0151 330 0213 or email ronformby@scottiepress.org


TOURISM IN VAUXHALL

Experts estimate that the Capital of Culture will attract 1.7 million tourists to Liverpool. Tourism is also anticipated to become one of the major factors in the regeneration of the city of Liverpool. But tourism should also be a means by which the inner city areas of Liverpool can benefit from worldwide visitors to Liverpool who are keen to be made aware of and to appreciate the city's history, heritage and culture

Many millions of pounds have been given to Liverpool, which has been spent on the city centre's building and infrastructure projects. But money should also be made available to the inner city areas to help such areas reap the rich dividends that tourism can bring to local economies and help create much needed local jobs.

The Vauxhall Neighbourhood Council firmly believes that tourism in Vauxhall could be a viable and sustainable feature of the areas future. The Scottie Press has organised this test run of what could be a full four-hour guided bus tour of the Scotland Road and Vauxhall area. This tour will point out many of the areas famous landmarks and will provide chances for people on the full tour to stop and look around. Detailed information about the Scotland Road and Vauxhall area will also be made available.


THE STREET FOR BARREL ORGANS AND BARGAINS

When the bulldozers took over Scotland Road – the road that was for so long the heart of Liverpool – it began to die, a victim of what was called progress. The road that was known in all the seaports of the world from Bombay to Barcelona was slaughtered by the 1970s planners and developers. Soon to go forever were the world famous pubs, shops and business premises as they were ground ruthlessly into rubble.

Scotland Road 1970

Pictured in 1970 was one of last remaining stretches of Scotland Road on which the pubs, shops and business premises struggled on in the face of what many people considered would see Scotland Road lose the exuberance of its famous past.

Scotland Road in its day was as unique as London’s Old Kent Road. And it had the reputation for being the cheapest place in the world. If you could not get a bargain in Scotland Road then you couldn’t get a bargain. All day, and well into the night, the road was thronged and busy. But on Saturdays it really came to life. Saturday was distinctive for its sounds. In every other street barrel organs would be playing. Itinerant musicians trudged the gutters playing fiddles, whistles and all manners of instruments. Saturday was the day when the pubs held free-and easies with a wide range of variety of turns.

As for the cheapness of the goods that were sold on Saturdays old memories say that beer was once less than 2d a pint and matches less than 2d for a dozen boxes. Two ounces of tobacco could be bought for 6d and a hundredweight of coal cost you 8d. For 3d you could buy 14lbs of potatoes or for 4d buy a dozen kippers. Eggs would cost 1/- for 30. The favourite dishes of those days were spare ribs closely followed by boiled beef and carrots. It has been recorded that if you waited on Scotland Road until about midnight on Saturday, you stood a chance of getting you Sunday joint for nothing.

A ROAD FAMOUS FOR ITS SPORTING STARS AND LEGENDS

Some of the most famous men of football came from the teeming courts and terraces of Scotland Road. Players like Johnny Morrisey, Jimmy Melia, Bobby Campbell and Larry Carberry all first started kicking a ball about in the Scotland Road area. They often had to play on cobbled streets or on the world war 2 bomb-sites. Often there would be games every evening and about 30 or 40 players would be involved in a match. Games of street football were also played on Sunday afternoons. For these young boys, football was more of a religion than a sport and you were either a Liverpudlian or Evertonian with dreams of playing professional football. For Johnny, Jimmy, Bobby and Larry their dreams were to come true. Jimmy Melia signed professional forms for Liverpool FC aged 17 and made his senior bow against Nottingham Forest at Anfield in 1955. Jimmy also played as wing half for England. Johnny Morrissey went on to play for Everton. Larry Carberry played at full back for the Ipswich team that was promoted into the then 1st Division under the management of Alf Ramsey. Bobby Campbell played for Liverpool before becoming trainer coach at Portsmouth and later the manager of Chelsea.

Boxing writers once hailed the 15 round ‘thrill-a-minute’ fight between Harry Carlton and Dom Volante in front of 20,000 fight fans as being one of the greatest contests ever fought at Madison Square Garden. Dom had been down four times, but each time came back and by the 10th round Carlton (from New Jersey) was considered close to exhaustion. In the end the fight ended in a draw. Dom Volante became a favourite with Americans who thought his all action style was very appealing. Dom had three more bouts in America all of which he won, including a return fight with Harry Carlton.

Dom Volante was born (1905) in rooms above a stable in Gerard Street off Scotland Road an area of Liverpool known as ‘Little Italy’ because of the numbers of Italian immigrants who had settled there. Dom’s mum and dad were born in Naples. Desperately poor there they came to Liverpool to seek a better life. Dom went to School at Holy Cross. He started his boxing aged 12 at a club in Gerard Street and this club was to produced other boxing stars including Tony Butcher, Billy Simpson, Frank Short, Don Vario, Joe Curran and Ike Bradley. But Dom Volante was to become recognised as being one of the most courageous, clean and gallant little fighters the world of boxing has ever known. In total Dom fought 127 professional fights and only lost a few. In his time Dom was one of the best featherweights this country has produced beating men who were champions although the fights were not for titles and men who later went on to become title holders. Sadly an eye injury put paid to title ambition for Dom and he was forced into premature retirement. For years after, Dom sailed the world on Cunard liners in the first class gymnasium. There he met and worked with millionaires and film stars like Joseph Cotten, Nancy Sinatra, Bette Davies etc. All grateful to the help Dom gave them when endeavouring to keep fit or lose weight.


THE FRENCH PRIEST AND HIS ASTONISHING CURES

St Anthony’s Church in Scotland Road – a road once home for many thousands of Irish Liverpudlians – began as a French Chapel. It all started when in 1804 one Father Jean Gerardot moved into what was then the farthest corner of Liverpool, to Mile End, in the new Scotland Road, where he bought a piece of land and built a chapel – St Anthony’s.

In 1798, Irish people crossing to England and staying in Liverpool needed shelters, and these destitute vagrants – many of whom died in cellars – looked to the outskirts of the city for shelter and life. So they came to Scotland Road and its empty spaces and wastelands. It was for them, as well as for French prisoners of war in Borough Gaol in Great Howard Street, that Father Gerardot built his chapel between Dryden Street, Grenville Street and Scotland Road and settled there.

Father Gerardot’s chapel – which quickly became known as the French Chapel – was a great help for the many poor people seeking spiritual comfort as well as keeping peace amongst the newcomers from Ireland and the more ancient citizens of Liverpool. At the time it was built there were only three Roman Catholic churches in Liverpool – not sufficient for the 10,000 plus Catholics in the “new Liverpool”.

It is said that the French priest had a knowledge of medicine and performed ‘astonishing cures’, particularly in the cases of dropsy and he became one of the most well-loved and respected men in Liverpool. Father Gerardot died in the arms of his best friend, Canon Henri Orre of Poitou, the curate, in 1825, and was buried in his own chapel before the altar. Some years later, the French chapel, too small for its parishioners, disappeared before the present St Anthony’s (see photo below) opened on September 29th, 1833, some hundred yards father on.

St Anthony's Church

The bodies of Father Gerardot and two other priests, as well as that of a woman, Mary Kayes, probably the benefactress of the chapel, were moved a month later to the vaults of the new church, where they still lie to this day. And there, in 1845, came Canon Orre to take his last repose near to his old friend.

It is recorded that in the 1920s Scotland Road was one of the most densely populated areas in the world and in 1970 St Anthony’s church had over 3,000 parishioners. The then Parish Priest, Father Jim O’Reilly expressed his worries as to how long they would remain with him. “People”, he said; “are moving out all the time to follow the many others who were moved by the council to Kirkby and to what was called Cantril Farm” - now Stockbridge Village. Born in County Meath, Father O’Reilly was very much aware of the Irish history of Scotland Road. The Irish who came in the 1840s to escape the Great Famine were dumped in the area. That was when they paid 6d for a single fare from Kilkenny and Wexford. Lots of people all over the city of Liverpool and indeed the world will have roots in Scotland Road although they might not realise it.


PUBLIC MEMORIAL TO PUB KEEPER

Scotland Place, were the John Moores University now stands, once had a clock towered pub, the ‘Morning Star’, kept by ‘Dandy Pat Byrne’ who was originally from Wexford, Ireland. He became known as Dandy Pat because he always wore a sealskin vest and white topper. As a city councillor he became renowned for his battles for the ratepayers and in his private life for his benefactions to the poor and to Holy Cross and St Joseph’s churches. When he died a fountain was erected to his memory right opposite the pub. He was probably the only pub keeper in Liverpool to have a public memorial.

In 1998 the remains of the original fountain memorial were discovered in an old corporation yard and efforts were made to restore as much as possible. The restored monument (see photo below) has stood in the garden area at the rear of St Anthony’s Church since 2000. It is situated very close to the St Anthony’s Visitors Centre, which opened in 2004 as part of the churches 200th Anniversary celebrations.

The Visitor Centre will enable people to trace their family roots in the Scotland Road area of Liverpool as the church has an expansive volume of birth, marriage and death records. It is also possible to visit the brick lined crypt of the church by appointment.

St Anthony's Church and Visitors Centre

SCOTLAND ROAD

Scotland Road runs along what was the old coach route to the North, from Liverpool city centre. It became a turnpike road in the 1770s as the road to Preston via Walton and Burscough. It was after this that a stagecoach travelled this road through Lancaster and Kendall to Scotland, giving Scotland Road it’s name. The name soon became synonymous with Liverpool, epitomizing both the best and worst of the cities attributes. Although the origins of Scotland Road date back to the 1770s, it is 1803 that is viewed as the birth of Scotland Road. Through the years, those who lived in this area came from differing cultures and diverse backgrounds.

In the 1850s, Scotland Road had a population of Irish, which is recorded as being denser than was found in any other civilized city. The primary reason for this overcrowding was the Irish immigration, caused by the failure of the potato crop in many parts of Ireland in the 1840s. This led to thousands of people trying to make a new life for themselves in the new world of America. Unfortunately the cost of the move was often too great for many families, and once they reached Liverpool they did not have the money to pay for their passage. To say that they settled in vast numbers would be an understatement. In the end, immigration peaked at about 300,000 in the year 1847. This would prove to one of the most detrimental things to happen to Scotland Road as it acquired the reputation as a ‘poverty land’. Coincidentally, bad housing led to bad health. The main killers seem to have been cold, hunger, cholera and typhus. Unfortunately, situations such as these do not lend themselves to instant solutions, and many of the problems could not be solved quickly and were indeed to continue. Scotland Road was still amongst the worse areas for housing in the 1960s.

The amazing thing about Scotland Road and its people was their ability to overcome all the adversity and hardship that they faced. In Scotland Road the population remained humorous and proud in the midst of poverty and defeat. The constant good spirit of locals has largely contributed to the area becoming world-renowned.

Scotland Road was well known for the number of pubs it boasted.

Throstles Nest

Visit Throstles Nest Website

The development of these establishments began in the early 19th century and dramatically rose up to the beginning of the 20th century. In the early 20th century the number of pubs in the Scotland Road area peaked at approximately 224, with 65 actually positioned on Scotland Road. A pub on every corner was how some described Scotland Road. It was well recognised that these pubs provided venues where ‘good people could have good nights’. The pubs possessed an inviting warmth and were an integral part of the community.


THE STREET THAT WENT ROUND THE WORLD

There was once a time when you could ask any seaman in mid-Atlantic to direct you to a particular part of the ship and he would reply, “Oh, it’s about half way along Scotland Road”, or something of the sort. Scotland Road would have been mentioned - that is, if you wanted to get your bearings right. And your information would not be taking the Mickey in mentioning a road that was, at that moment probably a thousand miles or more away. For, on many of the giant passenger liners that sailed from Liverpool and other British ports, the longest alleyway that ran through the ship was known as – yes you’ve guessed it – Scotland Road. Even E Deck on the Titanic had an alleyway nicknamed “Scotland Road”.

Atlantic Liner Atlantic Liner

It was often the case that all the working parts of a ship ran off this alleyway – galleys, bakehouses, kitchens etc – so you just had to go along “Scotland Road” to reach any of them. And this probably more than anything else carried the legend of the famous road to all corners of the earth. Scotland Road aboard ships was also always the parade ground for the “Foo Foo bands”, just as the real Scotland Road ashore was the scene of many parades and bands. “Foo Foo bands”, by the way were members of the firemen and greaser crews selected for their ability to make sensible noises on a “kazoo”, an instrument that works on the comb and paper principle. It is recorded that when Jimmy Wilde the famous flyweight British champion boxer stepped ashore in New York, he was triumphantly played ashore by the ship’s “Foo Foo band”, which had been marshalled of course, in Scotland Road.

Seamen from Singapore to Manhattan would also know of the most famous doss-house in the world as being ‘Champion Whate’s’ situated at the corner of Taylor Street and Scotland Road. Generations of people passing down Scotland Road on tramcars and buses found themselves staring at the large notice board, which read ‘Champion-Whate – Good beds’. The building, which opened in 1919 and closed in 1979 was originally owned by a Walter Whate. He was at one time a wrestler although it’s still not known what championship he held. Men who sought lodging at Champion Whate’s would often only be able to afford a nights’ sleep draped across a thick rope that was slung across a basement room. It’s often considered that this is the origin of the saying “I’m so tired I could sleep on a clothes line”. The rope was actually called a “flop” – hence such lodging houses were referred to at one time as “flop-houses”. The rope was about two inches thick and of the kind that was used for towing barges.

The fame of Billy the Barber’s shop also spread far beyond Scotland Road for its recorded that Chinese and other foreign seamen took home tales of this shop and in turn recommended Billy’s shop to their colleagues and friends. Billy’s shop in Bostock Street also had a real Red Indian as a customer. He was appearing at the Rotunda Theatre and one day called in at Billy’s for a 1d shave.

Scotland Road’s most famous “Mary Ellen” must have been the shawled lady who sold oranges for many years outside the Half Way House at the corner of Bostock Street. Her fame came one night during the Second World War when she was mentioned on the German Radio broadcasts aimed at undermining the morale of people in Britain. These broadcasts by Lord Haw-Haw often mentioned people and places to add point to his threats. One night after boasting that German bombers had selected Liverpool for their target and were on their way, Lord Haw-Haw flaunted his knowledge of the city by mentioning “Mary Blunn who sold oranges along Scotland Road”.

One of the most famous daughters of Scotland Road is Cilla Black. Cilla was born Priscilla Maria White and grew up in the family home behind and above a barber’s shop at 370 Scotland Road. When aged five, she went to St Anthony’s School where she remained all her school days. Cilla used to go to Penrhyn Street play-centre and often entered into singing competitions at the centre and would often win the first prize of threepence. Cilla left St Anthony’s when aged 15 and went to Anfield Commercial College and her first job was a Dictaphone typist at the B.I.C.C. offices in Liverpool. But a month later she made her first record – a Lennon/McCarthy composition called “Love of the Loved” – and we all know what happened after that. She became an international star.

It’s a long way from 22 Roscommon Street to the deepest heart of Africa, but there is a close connection between this Liverpool address and the jungle. For this humble little house off Scotland Road was once the home of a certain Henry Morton Stanley - the man who immortalised the phrase, “Dr Livingstone, I presume?” Originally known as John Rowlands, he was baptised in St Hilary’s Chapel on February 18th, 1841. He was the illegitimate son of John Rowlands, a farmer of Llys, Llanrhaladr, and Elizabeth (Betsy) Parry, of Denbigh. As a baby, John Rowlands, was brought up by his 80-year-old-grandfather, Moses Parry, in a cottage on Castle Row, Denbigh.

However, Moses Parry died in 1847 and John Rowlands was placed at the St Asaph’s Poor Law Union Workhouse where he was to remain until aged 15. He then came to Liverpool and knocked on the door of 22 Roscommon Street in 1858, to find shelter with his uncle and aunt, Tom and Maria Morris. When he lived with his uncle and aunt he worked in a London Road haberdashery (often from 7am to 9pm), and later as a butcher’s delivery boy near the Bramley Moore Dock. One day he had the good fortune to deliver butcher’s provisions to a Captain David Hartinge of the Windermere packet ship. They had a brief conversation and the American signed him on as the cabin boy. Then the teenager shipped from Liverpool as a cabin boy to New Orleans. There he met Henry Hope Stanley who was a commercial broker and who offered him work and respectability. Although he was probably an employee rather than a “stepson”, John Rowlands adopted the name Henry Morton Stanley.

Stanley's Plaque

For many years there was a small plaque over the door of 22 Roscommon Street, which read “Sir Henry Morton Stanley, G.C.B., Explorer, 1841/1904 Finder of Dr Livingstone, Lived at this address 1858/1859”. At this time the house was occupied by an antique firm, and though it was in a quiet backwater, American tourists flocked there to take photographs. But the address meant little to most Merseysiders.




ALLEYWAY ON TITANIC WAS NICKNAMED“SCOTLAND ROAD”

Titanic Poster

The history of the famous White Star Line ship ‘Titanic’ has been well documented, down to the last minute of that fateful night in April 1912 and to the last inch of information about the size of the ship. It is recorded that the long wide passage that ran along the portside of E deck and was a popular route with the crew and steerage passengers, was nicknamed “Scotland Road” after the bustling working-class thoroughfare in Liverpool, the Titanic’s port of registration. The photographs below show Scotland Road in the early 1900s. With its vast numbers and mix of shops and what was claimed to be a pub on every corner it is no wonder that Scotland Road was described at this time as one of the most vibrant in Liverpool. As such Scotland Road was regularly visited by sailors and seafarers and indeed ship passengers from every part of the world.

Scotland Road 1890 Scotland Road early 1900's

Further documentation about the Titanic states that the corridor that ran the length of the entire ship was called ‘Scotland Road’. Pictured below is a map of E Deck on which can clearly be seen the indications to Aft Scotland Road and Fore Scotland Road.

Map of E-deck

An extract from accounts of the tragedy give further indication to the fact that the alleyway on E Deck was recognised and referred to as Scotland Road.

George Henry Cavell

George, of Lower East Road, Sholing, had been at sea for 18 months. all with the White Star Line. He had previously served on the Adriatic, the Oceanic,and the Olympic, before joining the Titanic at aged 22.

On the evening of April 14th Cavell was on the 8 to 12 watch, and was alone in the coalbunker in Boiler Room No 4. When the ship hit the iceberg Cavell felt a shock, and the coal collapsed in on him. He managed to dig his way out of the bunker, and came into the stokehold. As he did, the lights went out in No 4, and he then climbed up to the port alleyway, (Scotland Road) on E Deck, where the lights were still on.

With this in mind the Scottie Press is adding the Scotland Road connection with the Titanic story to the very many reasons why Tourism in Vauxhall could and should be a means by which the Scotland Road and Vauxhall areas of Liverpool can benefit from the increased numbers of visitors to Liverpool that are expected before, during and after 2008. A recent article in the Liverpool Daily Post (Mon 19th Sept 2005) says that Merseyside’s growing tourism industry has crashed through the £1 billion pound mark. The article also states that the tourism sector continues to offer strong potential for further growth.

The Tourism in Vauxhall Project will offer up opportunities and reasons for people to visit this area and as such encourage investment into the area, which will be to the benefit of people living and working in the area.

If you would like to help with this aspect of the Tourism in Vauxhall Project please email ronformby@scottiepress.org


HERITAGE OPEN DAYS

Every year on four days in September, buildings of every age, style and function in England, throw open their doors to offer free access to the public. In many cases these properties are usually closed to the public or charge for admission. This year (2005) the Merseyside Heritage Open Days took place between the 8th and 11th of September with a launch staged at the Tower Suite of the Royal Liver Buildings. Photographed speaking at this launch is Keith Blundell (Head of Tourism - Liverpool City Council).

heritageopen.jpg - 43k


Co-ordinated nationally by the Civic Trust in partnership with English Heritage the event thrives on the enthusiasm and expertise of local people. Thousands of volunteers from all walks of life share their knowledge and memories with some 800,000 visitors every year, making Heritage Open Days England's largest voluntary cultural event.

Ian Harvey (Development Officer, Merseyside Civic Trust) said: "2005 was indeed a vintage year for Heritage Open Days on Merseyside. More properties and more volunteers than ever participated in this years event, confirming Heritage Open Days as Merseyside's largest free cultural event. Let us hope that 2006 will be even bigger and better."

At the launch of the Merseyside Heritage Open Days and opportunity was taken by the Scottie Press to photograph a view from a window in the Tower Suite, Royal Liver Building. In the photograph (below) two aspects of Vauxhall's history and heritage (the Six-Sided-Clock and Tobacco Warehouse) can be seen.

windowview.jpg - 38k


It is a desire of the Scottie Press to have Tourism in Vauxhall as part of the Merseyside Heritage Open Days in 2006 and we welcome support for this ambition. Please contact ronformby@scottiepress.org


BEST TOUR IN THE CAPITAL OF CULTURE

Dear Scottie Press, We were all delighted when Liverpool won bid to be European Capital of Culture in 2008. But since that victorious day we have all come down to earth with many asking what does it mean for us? The inner city areas of Liverpool are often where the real heart of the city shines and this is oh so true in the Scotland Road and Vauxhall areas. No doubt the glossy brochures in city centre hotels will not promote this and so it is that I want to praise the organisation of a heritage trail bus tour on Wednesday 10th August around the Scotland Road and Vauxhall areas that was an eye opener for all the passengers on the bus. We really don't see what's around in our own communities and often fail to realise that in terms of culture the most valuable gift we have are our roots.

cryptvisit.jpg - 37k


Everton Toffee, St Anthony's Church Crypt (see photo), St Alban's Church, the Dock Road, the Stanley Locks, Eldon Grove and what will hopefully become Vauxhall's mini Martin Mere on the banks of the Leeds & Liverpool Canal. There was so much to soak in and realize that all this heritage and culture is ours and we want the world to see what we have to offer in Vauxhall. We may not be included in the guidebooks just yet but just wait until the Vauxhall Heritage Trail bus hits the tourist trail. When the tee shirt is printed it will read, Probably The Best Tour In The Capital Of Culture.
MARGARET DONNELLY


Vauxhall Heritage Tour

VAUXHALL HAS BEEN RIGHT
AT THE HEART OF THIS CITY'S STORY


Liverpool's role at the centre of so many international events gives it a special place in the world and an unrivalled uniquely interesting story to tell. Heritage based tourism has a vital role to play among the cocktail of initiatives that will fuel the city's revival; it'd s wonderful fruitful market for Liverpool to build upon. The Vauxhall area of the city has been right at the centre of this story, and so has many assets to tap some of the fruits through telling its own story.

From the romance of the sea, the highs and lows of city living, the cultural richness that has defined the city's image itself, the spiritual heart of the original Cosmopolis would offer an enthralling experience for many visitors. Tourists who visit the worlds great city's demand to get beyond the fluff of the sanitised 'tourist offer' ... in history, culture, even the vagaries of 20th century urban planning. Cities as interesting as Amsterdam and New York have developed their tourist industry in their historic areas outside the usual beat. Vauxhall has it all.

There are tremendous rewards to be had for Vauxhall. Heritage tourism offers local communities and entrepreneurs the opportunity to take hold of this potential, from hotels to tours and tourist information, and of course, in doing so provide a stimulus to the wider revival of the districts of the North End. Tourism isn't just about low wage service jobs in large hotels, there are many areas that can pay real dividends in providing tourists with the facilities and experiences they crave. From the docks, wharf's and warehouses, immigration and emigration, Scottie Road, historic churches to Paddy's market ....... Help them to get a feel of the real Liverpool.

Anthony Siebenthaler



AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHS OF LIVERPOOL

Local Area Photograph

Dry Dock.

Dry Dock2.

Liverpool Docks.

Liverpool Docks.

Sea-Fog.

Stanley Dock.

Tobacco Wharehouse.

Tobacco Wharehouse.

Vauxall Dock.

"Our thanks go to Jonathon Webb for allowing us to feature a link to his wondeful Aerial Photographs of Liverpool site which show the proximity of the Vauxhall area to Liverpool City Centre and how the promotion of Tourism in Vauxhall can be good for the Vauxhall area and indeed the city of Liverpool".

Click here to visit Jonathans Site to see more aerial photographs of the Liverpool area and other locations throughout the UK.




LEE JONES CENTRE (Limekiln Lane)

League of Welldoers League of Welldoers

Herbert Lee Jackson Jones was born in Runcorn in 1870. He was the son of a cotton broker. He was educated at Liverpool College, becoming proficient in art and wood engraving. Although he'd given thought to a career in the church, he gave this up to devote his life to philanthropy, funding the 'Liverpool Food Association' in 1893, soon to be renamed the 'Food and Betterment Association' and then 'The League of Welldoers' in 1909. From the earliest days his band of helpers were based in Limekiln Lane, right amongst those who he strove to serve. When it was known, in October 1936, that Jones was dying, crowds knelt outside the front corner of the building, praying for their true friend and benefactor. The front of the building was destroyed in the May 1941 blitz and only rebuilt in 1952. The figures above the door, dated 1953, are by M. Newton.



TOURISM IN VAUXHALL
It is anticipated that there will be many more visitors to Liverpool in future years than ever before. Tourism is expected to become one of the major factors in the continued regeneration of the city of Liverpool.

But tourism should also be a means by which inner city areas can benefit from world wide visitors to Liverpool who are keen to be aware of and appreciative of the history, heritage and culture of the city.

Areas such as Scotland Road and Vauxhall played a big part in the creation and development of Liverpool and as such should have opportunities to encourage visitors.

In appreciation of this the Scottie Press has set up this new webpage on its Projects section in order that the website can best promote reasons why people visiting Liverpool should think about having a day in the Scotland Road and Vauxhall area.

We begin our promotion of the Vauxhall area of Liverpool with photographs of Stanley Dock and of what was once recognised as the biggest brick built building in Europe. The Tobacco Warehouse at Stanley Dock was opened in 1920.

Stanley Dock

The 14-storey building, designed by Jesse Hartley, covers 26 acres - allowing 180,000 barrels of tobacco to be stored at any one time. The warehouse which, swallowed up 27,000,000 bricks in its construction stood like a powerful guardian over its precious stock.

This piece of Dock Board publicity from the time of its opening compares the tobacco warehouse with Liverpool's largest public building St George's Hall.

Dockboard outline sketch

The tobacco warehouse building was state-of-the-art when built but it fell out of use in the 1980s. The building which is Grade 2 listed reflects Liverpool's port history, and is an incredible landmark.

Tobaccobarrells.jpg - 27k   Tobaccoworkmen.jpg - 32k

We picture typical scenes (circa 1936) within the Tobacco Warehouse.

tobacco.jpg - 36k

Stanley Dock Warehouse itself was built in 1848, and the Stanley Dock links to the Leeds & Liverpool Canal.Readers can learn more about Stanley Dockby visiting the website listed below.
http://www.liverpoolworldheritage.com/stanleydock.asp


It is not commonly realised that before railways the canals carried considerable passenger traffic. Regular packet-boat services connected all the main centres with light, fast vessels drawn by two or more horses at a canter, with a postillion.

They had priority and usually had first and second-class cabins, heating and refreshments. A big advance on the cold and bumpy stagecoaches.

Chisenale Street Bridge

The sketch above pictures the Liverpool - Wigan packet dropping its tow-line to pass under the old Chisenale Street bridge, in the Vauxhall area of Liverpool, on the Leeds & Liverpool canal.

The Leeds & Liverpool Canal is the longest canal in Britain travelling a little over 127 miles with a water level of 53 feet above sea level. The history of the canal can be traced back to 1767 when the original survey work and design was confirmed. Construction began at Vauxhall Road/Leeds Street at the end of Old Hall Street in Liverpool in 1770.






THE DOCK ROAD


Surely one of the most famous roads in the history of Liverpool must be what people refer to as 'The Dock Road'. Our thanks go to Ged Fagan who has provided this webpage with some information about the famous Liverpool Road and for his promise to send us more information at a later date.

Img_0184.jpg - 59k


Wellington Dock was built in 1848 and named after the Duke of Wellington and was used for the export of coal from the Lancashire and Yorkshire coalfields.

Img_0185.jpg - 58k


The Bramley Moore Dock which closed in1988, was originally opened in 1848 along with Salisbury, Collingwood, Stanley and Nelson docks under a £1.4 million ponds programme of works which was during a period of great prosperity and rapidly expanding commercial enterprise during the Industrial Revolution. At almost 10 acres, it is the largest of the five docks opened that day and was, like so many others, built by Jesse Hartley. It was named after the Chairman of the Dock Committee and Mayor of Liverpool, John Bramley-Moore.

Img_0189.jpg - 53k


Salisbury Dock features the hexagonal, granite built Victorian Clock and Bell Tower which, resembles a chess set 'castle' piece. It too dates from 1848 and is Grade 2 listed.

Img_0188.jpg - 67k


Stanley Dock is home of the largest brick built warehouse in the world (still standing) and was used for the storage of tobacco. It too is Grade 2 listed.

Img_0192.jpg - 48k


Clock View Clock View
Clock View
Stanley Dock. Tobacco Warehouse.


Battle of Trafalgar

(Nelson and Collingwood)

The Battle of Trafalgar was fought on the 21st of October off Cape Trafalgar on the Spanish Coast, between the Combined Fleets of Spain and France and the Royal Navy. As the British Fleet waited for the Combined Fleet (Spanish & French) to sail from Cadiz, Admiral Nelson had asked his captains to come aboard the Victory to explain his plan of attack. The ships were to form two columns, with Nelson in command of one and Collingwood the other. As a tribute to the achievements of both Nelson and Collingwood at the Battle of Trafalgar (1805) two docks in Liverpool were named in their honour. It is fitting that these two docks should (in 2005) be promoted by the Tourism in Vauxhall Project as places where people might wish to visit as part of the 200th Anniversary of this famous sea battle.

Admiral Nelson Vice Admiral Collingwood
Nelson Dock Entrance Collingwood Dock Entrace

You can read more about the Battle of Trafalgar at http://www.nelsonsnavy.co.uk/battle-of-trafalgar.html


<< Back