Dear Scottie Press
On Tuesday 23rd March a group of lads formerly from Louis Street were taken on a tour of St Anthony's Crypt. The Curator, Michael O'Neill conducted the tour of the Crypt which was of great interest to us for as boys we were all at one time members of the 21st North Liverpool, St Anthony's Boy Scout Group - and the Crypt (or as we called it the Vaults) was our Headquarters. We used the three big rooms in the Crypt for our Scouting activities and we remembered how the section of the Crypt where bodies were buried was always pitch black. - not like now with lights illuminating the passageways etc. With being able to see the Crypt much better than ever before we were amazed that there were brick arches everywhere. We spent about 30 minutes in the Crypt and we would like to thank Michael O'Neill for showing us around and filling us in with the history of the Crypt.
ARCHBISHOP OPENS HERITAGE & VISITOR CENTRE
A new heritage and visitor centre has been officially opened at St Anthony's Church (Scotland Road). The ceremony was conducted by the Archbishop of Liverpool, the Most Rev Patrick Kelly on Wednesday 17th March. The event which is part of Liverpool's Year of Faith leading to 2008 Capital of Culture, was timed to coincide with St Patrick's Day which is also the 200th Anniversary (1804-2004) of the parish.
Among those attending were Liverpool's two auxiliary bishops, the Rt Rev Tom Williams and the Rt Rev Vincent Malone. Bishop Williams was priest at St Anthony's for 14 years and he started work on the heritage and visitor centre which will in time have details of thousands of people whose births, baptisms, marriages and deaths were recorded in the parish archives.
Individuals or parties wishing to visit the heritage and visitor centre should telephone St Anthony's Church on the number below.
0151 207 0177
MASS OF CELEBRATION FOR THE
200th ANNIVERSARY OF THE FOUNDING OF
ST ANTHONY'S PARISH
At 12.00 noon on Saturday 17th January, almost 300 people, including many past and present parishioners of St Anthony's Church, Scotland Road, attended a 'Mass of Celebration for the 200th Anniversary of the Founding of St Anthony's Parish. The Mass was celebrated by Bishop Tom Williams. After the Mass there was an opportunity for all present to have a pre-view of the new visitor centre and crypt.
St Anthony's Parish was founded in 1804 by Father Gerardot and the original church stood at the junction of Dryden Street and Scotland Road at what became known as St Anthony's Place. The St Anthony's Church that we know today was opened in 1833 and is recognised as being the Mother Church for a great many of the churches in the Scotland Road and Vauxhall area and surrounding districts. It is also recognised that St Anthony's Church has played a major role in the history of the city of Liverpool and that the descendants of people originally from the parish are now living in all parts of the world. By linking parish records with modern computer database technology the St Anthony's Visitor Centre will be able to tell the story of these families. Bishop Tom Williams is sure that the sons, daughters, grandchildren and great grandchildren of St Anthony's parishioners from all over the world will be interested in the visitor centre. He hopes to have a comprehensive collection of photographs displayed and the Scottie Press is endeavouring to help with photos from the newspapers archive collection.
You can view our archive collection by clicking here .
Central to the history of St Anthony's Church and Parish was the Irish Potato Famine (1847) and the arrival in Liverpool of many thousands of Irish men, women and children, In the grounds of St Anthony's Church is the monument to Irishman "Dandy" Patrick Byrne who came to Liverpool as a 17 year old emigrant from Wexford and became a successful businessman and a Liverpool councillor. He died in 1890 and a monument acknowledging his generosity to the Irish people in the Scotland Road area was erected in Scotland Place outside of the Morning Star Pub which Patrick Byrne owned. The original monument was removed from Scotland Place when work began on the second Mersey tunnel in the late 1960s. The monument was moved to another location and from there subsequently finished up in a Liverpool Corporation Yard. The whereabouts of the monument became known in 1998 and efforts to restore as much of the remaining parts of the monument succeeded in having it sited in the grounds of St Anthony's Church.
You can access more information about "Dandy" Patrick Byrne on this website by clicking here
Click here to see the memorial unveiling.
Information about Dandy Pat Byrne can also be found on the following websites
The St Anthony's Visitor Centre will be officially opened on St Patricks Day 17th March by the Archbishop of Liverpool, the Most Reverend Patrick Kelly.
St Anthony's Devlopment Plans
North Liverpool Partnership commissioned GROUNDWORK in September 1999 to carry out community consultation leading to producing a master plan for the improvements to the grounds of St Anthony's Church. The consultations and master plan (see above) are now complete and the project will start in the autumn 2000 subject to securing additional funding.
Full details about the Church grounds improvements can be gained by contacting Jenny Townley at Groundwork - telephone 0151 255 2615. Listed below are some of the improvements that are planned.
1. Proposed crypt monument built with slate and glass. Surrounding area hard surfaced with granite setts and a contrasting slate paving.
2. Entrance to the crypt to be enhanced through the creation of an entrance gateway feature, granite and slate paving and low-level lighting. Existing Plane tree retained and mirrored. Carved stone slab to be laid into paving, to be dedicated to the victims of the Irish famine.
3. Proposed vertical bar railings with feature design panel at 5m intervals. Celtic Images to be incorporated into the metalwork.
4. The area to the side of the Dandy Pat Memorial is to be surrounded by low level, scented planting to give a feeling of enclosure. Spotlights located in the planting will enhance the memorial during the evening. Existing trees will provide shade over proposed benches.
5. Grassed area with existing gravestones to be re-seeded where required and planted with native bluebell bulbs.
6. Area along the side of the church to be utilised as a memorial garden, with tree planting and raised planters. Benches installed at appropriate intervals and gravestones on walls relocated where necessary.
7. Area of block paving, suitable for vehicular access can be used as short term parking and as a congregating area for church visitors.
8. Two way block paved access road for restricted use only, 4.5m wide with turning area. A ramp will define where pedestrian access crosses to the main entrance.
9. Main entrance pedestrianised and a pebble mosaic with Celtic theme installed. Existing benches relocated and new planting areas created to provide shelter and enclosure from the road. War memorial retained and new paths installed.
10. Presbytery gardens retained as existing, area used for church events
Contributions and feedback to