HISTORY ON OUR DOORSTEP
COTTON STREET, VAUXHALL, LIVERPOOL 3
Cotton Street is located opposite Clarence Dock Gates in the Vauxhall area of Liverpool 3. Access can be gained from Regent Road (Dock Road) or from Great Howard Street. Cotton Street is now occupied by a mixed range of small business, but in the mid 1850s the street was nearby three of the four key Liverpool's docks where there was a concerted effort to focus on the cotton trade. These docks were, the Huskisson, Bramley-Moore and Waterloo. The former Cotton Warehouse at Waterloo Dock has been converted into luxury apartments, whilst purpose built apartments have been built at Waterloo Quay.
Liverpool is a cosmopolitan city and the global nature of the cotton trade contributed to this. There were brokers from all over the world based here in the 19th century, including Germany, Prussia, Russia, Greece, the USA and India. Many of Liverpool's famous names were made from cotton, including the Rathbones and the Holts. The Rathbones were amongst the first firms to import American cotton to Britain. A commodity that was, to become increasingly important to their business. The story of the Blue Funnel Line starts with Alfred Holt's father, George Holt (1790-1861). The Holt family resided in Rochdale, a textile town in Lancashire. Liverpool came into the picture in1807 during a visit by Oliver Holt to a Liverpool cotton broker Samuel Hope. George's father, Oliver Holt, heard that this Liverpool cotton broker needed an apprentice and soon the 17 years old George started what was to be a 5 year apprenticeship at Hope's office in Water Street, Liverpool. George eventually became himself a cotton broker and Liverpool became his place of residence and here George brought up five sons. By 1823, George had separated from Samuel Hope and remained in the cotton trade but maintained a keen interest in banking which he regarded as an essential for the growth of the seaport of Liverpool. Wealthy cotton merchants and brokers lived in fine houses. Many lived around Sefton Park in the late 19th century. The Church of St Clare (Sefton Park area) was built in 1888-1890 and paid for by brothers Francis and James Reynolds who were cotton brokers. James Reynolds also owned Reynolds Park (Liverpool, 25) and Levens Hall Cumbria. In 1898, Arthur Kilpin Bulley, a Liverpool cotton broker, founded Ness Gardens by building his house on a gorse covered sandstone outcrop. He systematically incorporated surrounding fields into what has now become one of the country's leading botanic gardens (see photos below).
The cotton trade in Liverpool could not have functioned without the many others who enabled it to run smoothly. The dockers, warehousemen, carters, clerks and message boys were all vital. There is a popular myth that cotton bales were used in the foundations of the Liver building. This is probably no more than a story, but it shows how important cotton is to Liverpool's history. Cotton was the largest and most important trade in the city, accounting for almost half of the imports and exports that went through the port. In the 17th century, cotton came into Britain through London from the Middle East. In the 18th century, the new plantations in the West Indies, Brazil and America started to grow cotton. Liverpool had existing trade links with these areas, and so cotton began to arrive in the Mersey. The first American cotton was unloaded in Liverpool in 1784. There were only eight bags. Less than forty years later, half a million bales were arriving each year from America. Sights such as this (see below) were common along the Sampit River waterfront in Georgetown USA in late 19th early 20th Centuries. Cotton is stacked five and six bales high.
Other countries also supplied cotton, including Brazil, Egypt and India. By 1850, cotton accounted for almost half of the city's trade. Over 1.5 million bales were imported. This increased to nearly 70% in 1812 and 90% in 1830.The finished goods from Lancashire mills were also exported from Liverpool, accounting for almost half of the total exports in 1901.The cotton merchants and brokers met on Exchange Flags to do their buying and selling. In 1808, an Exchange Building opened, but while cotton brokers took offices there, they preferred to conduct their business in the open square. The cotton market continued to meet out of doors until the 1880s. The Flags were a place to meet and swap information about the cotton market. New technology like the telegraph and telephone played a major part in moving the cotton men indoors and from 1896 to 1907 an exchange was set up in Brown's Building.
A purpose-built Cotton Exchange (Old Hall Street, Liverpool 3) was commissioned and completed in 1906 (and opened 1907). This was a state of the art building, with telephones and direct cables to the New York, Bremen and Bombay cotton exchanges. At the end of March 1941 the Liverpool Cotton Market was closed for the duration of the Second World War and the Government took over all the importing of raw cotton. In 1946 the Government decided that the Liverpool Cotton Market should remain closed and that all cotton should be imported by a central government Raw Cotton Commission. Despite this decision the Liverpool Cotton Association agreed to carry on its present form and to pursue the ultimate objective of a return to a free trading in raw cotton. In 1954 legislation was passed whereby the buying and selling of raw cotton was returned to private enterprise. On 18 May 1954 the Liverpool Cotton Market was re-opened. Trade, however, was not good and in 1962 the Cotton Exchange was sold. In February 1963 the shares of the old Liverpool Cotton Association Ltd, were sold and it ceased to exist as such. The Cotton Exchange building was again sold in 1964 and in 1967 its conversion into the current (Cotton House-Cotton Exchange) office block began.
HOW THE "Black Church" GOT BLACK
Many readers of the Scottie Press will remember a local landmark in the Scotland Road area, which was the church of St Martin-in-the-field (see photo below), which stood in Silvester Street. Memories of the church will possibly be joined by a memory of the name by which the church was locally known, that name being 'The Black Church'. It was founded in 1828 and closed before 1945. The first stone of Saint Martin in the Fields was laid on 28th October 1828 and Consecrated on 13th January 1829. The Government had this church erected at the expense of £20.000. It was built of red sandstone but it turned black because of the industrial area, (an Irish dye works was the main culprit for this )and it got the nick name of The Black Church It was built on Great Oxford Street North, (now Silvester Street). There was seating for 2000 Parishioners.
The origin of the church becoming so named is recorded in a letter published in 'The Liverpool Mercury' dated 5th October 1827. The letter makes reference to problems caused by volumes of sulphurous smoke coming from a chemical manufacturer that was at that time based in the Vauxhall district of Liverpool. James Muspratt (see photo above) was one the brilliant and outstanding Irishmen who chose to make their mark in business in Liverpool in the early part of the nineteenth-century. In 1823 he moved his business from Dublin to Liverpool, where he began to make soda by the Leblanc process. James Muspratt sited his business in Vauxhall, much to the displeasure of the local people who complained of the nuisance of smoke darkening the area. The letter written to 'The Liverpool Mercury says, "Such volumes of sulphurous smoke as to darken the whole atmosphere in the neighbourhood, so much so that the church of St Martin-in-the-field cannot be seen from the houses. The stones of the church are already turned a dark colour from the cause".
St Martin in the Fields Church graveyard was surrounded by four streets. These were, Silvester Street, Vauxhall Road, Blenheim Street and Limekiln Lane. The church was bombed during the blitz 1941 and the graves were moved to St Mary's Church in Walton. Part of the cemetery was made into a children's playground and also a bowling green. The church itself remained a shell for years until it was demolished about 1952/54. James Muspratt is also buried in the grounds of Walton Parish Church (see photos above). A fuller story of the life of James Muspratt is featured in a book written by local author Mike Kelly. The book entitled 'Liverpool's Irish Connection' highlights the influence that, Irish businessmen like James Muspratt had on the development of the then town and port of Liverpool. Much of the labour force for such businesses was drawn from the Irish community of the Scotland Road and Vauxhall area of Liverpool.
Residents of the Everton district of Liverpool 3 will probably know that Tom Mann Close is located just off Christian Street. But they may not all know why it bears such a name. Tom Mann was born in Coventry in 1856. By common consent he was later to be acclaimed as the greatest labour agitator and orator of his time. The Liverpool Transport Strike of 1911 proved to be a turning point in industrial relations within this country, as employees, many of who were non-unionised members, of most major industries within the city, came out on strike for better pay and conditions. Led by the trade union leader and Syndicalist Tom Mann, they stood together, supported each other, and took on the employers of the main industries, and eventually led by the seamen, railwaymen, dockers, carters, transport workers and many other unionised branches they brought the city and the surrounding areas to a total standstill.
The strike covered a period from June until the end of August 1911 when eventually negotiations covering wages and conditions which had continually broken down during this period, were settled in favour of the unions, after the intervention of the Home Secretary of the time Winston Churchill.
Dear ScottiePress, I was delighted with the response shown by readers of the Scottie Press to the photograph I provided for the November issue which pictured a football team from St Kevin’s School, Kirkby. As a great many readers of the Scottie Press will know there is a very strong bond between Scotland Road and Kirkby. The famous Liverpool Artist, Arthur Dooley, once said that Kirkby was Liverpool’s abandoned baby, this had something of the truth although the abandoned baby often craved to be reunited with its parent. In the late 1950s, tens of thousands of people moved from the crowded streets of Scotland Road and Great Homer Street into new properties built in Kirkby.
The photograph above is from the early 1960s and shows the number 592 as it turns a corner from Webster Drive in County Road. I am sure that readers will remember this bus service and the 44D, 544, 92B, 93 and 92A like old friends. On a Saturday many would travel down to ‘Greaty’ to shop at the great mix of shops like Blundells for fish and fruit or Stantons for Pork and Offal did anyone ever make Doughnuts better than Whites? On a Saturday night many would make the journey from Kirkby to visit family and friends in the Scotland Road area and would enjoy a drink with them in their favourite watering hole before travelling home on the bus services listed above. These buses provided were a vital link that kept friendships together and gave a sense of security and belonging that is still worth fighting for.
I will have more like this for next month. Peter Fisher
Project Jennifer will hopefully provide a fantastic opportunity to transform the Great Homer Street area for the better. The proposals intend to build on the good things in the area, including the Saturday market. You can read more about the proposals on our Projects section ‘Have Your Say’ and on our projects section ‘Scotland Road Regeneration’ webpage.
Do you remember when Great Homer Street Saturday market looked like its does in this photo taken in the 1970s? Do you remember how the Saturday market looked in the 60s etc. If you do - do you have any views on the Project Jennifer proposals to redevelop and regenerate Great Homer Street.
If you do please email email@example.com
With the celebrations marking 60 years of the D-Day landings, I’m sure many families across the many parishes of the inner city remember the terrible losses incurred by the war. The Parish of St Bridget’s – the Blackstock Gardens area of the parish took an almighty hammering with such huge fatalities. Winston Churchill, along with the Ministry of Defence forbid any mention of the Blitz bombing devastation that hammered Liverpool. In December 1940 an air raid shelter filled to capacity in Blackstock Gardens, took a direct hit. Whole families were wiped out.
It took many years for any permanent recognition of the terrible loss of so many lives in that area, but now, standing proudly, in Vauxhall Road is an impressive monument dedicated to those who died in the air raid shelter on that fateful night in December 1940. Every year, in December, there is a service to remember them. “Yes We Will Remember Them”.
I remember that in the month of June, St Bridget’s had wonderful outdoor processions, walking along through the streets of the parish, commencing outside the once lovely church of St Bridget’s. Hogan’s pub, the ‘Maid Of Erin’ proudly flying the Papal Flag alongside the Tricolor. The priests garbed in their splendid vestments of red and gold carrying the magnificent gold monstrance housing the Blessed Host, under a colourful canopy which had bells in each corner. The bells were shaken to announce the arrival of the Blessed Sacrament. Spectators knelt on the pavements and the men with their caps under their arms as a sign of respect. The crowds jostled for the best specs, the June sunshine glorious for the outdoor celebration.
The school children were dressed in pretty white dresses, the boys also not to be outdone wore pristine white shirts with red dicky bows and black short ‘kecks’. The little girls carried wicker baskets full to the brim with pretty pastel coloured petals. They walked directly in front of the Blessed Sacrament, ‘strewing the petals’ on the ground, as the procession progressed. The crowds would dive to pick up the blessed petals to take home to sick relatives, as they thought they may have healing powers, or to be placed between the pages of your prayer book
The procession made its way through the cobbled streets accompanied by the band, the crowds joining in the singing of the popular hymns, the favourite being ‘Sweet Sacrament Devine’. Blackstock Gardens was the venue for the celebration of Benediction The flats were gaily decorated with the paper buntings and flags. The pavements scoured and the kerbs whitewashed ever so neatly. An altar was erected directly in front of the flats were Benediction was celebrated in the scorching heat of June. Spectators fell to their knees to receive the blessing from the Priest holding the Monstrance high. The deceased of the parish were remembered in a liturgy of prayer at the end of the service.
As the crowds dispersed they would then enjoy a cooling ice cream cornet from Gerry Chiapies van. On the way home us kids would have a competition of who could burst the most tar bubbles on the road, our blanco white shoes and socks would end up caked in tar. Margaret Donnelly.
We hope to established a webpage for the parish of St Bridget's on the Archive section of the Scottie Press website. We welcome hearing from readers who may have memories and or photographs for this webpage project.
Our thanks go to Allen Gustafson for sending us this photo which was taken in a pub on Scotland Road. Allen is not sure of the pub and says that perhaps if readers recognise the faces on the photo they may be able to remember which pub the photo was most likely to have to been taken in. Allen also tells us that he is looking for other photographs he has of 'the good old days' which he will send to us for inclusion on the website.
As ever we welcome hearing from readers who may have photographs similar to that sent to us by Allen as they can help remind readers of days gone by and also serve to show current and future generations what life was like in the Scotland Road and Vauxhall areas of Liverpool.
We thank Mr Marron for sending us these photographs featuring Arley Street - Fontenoy Street - Victoria Square - Dryden Street and Juvenal Street. We welcome hearing from readers who have any memories and or other photographs of the Scotland Road and Vauxhall areas of Liverpool.
We thank Barney Gibson for providing this photograph taken in the early 1950s which pictures the Gymnastics Team of Lee Jones Boys Club. Pictured on the photograph are J Byrne, J Carr, T McGuinness, A Atkins, A Broadhurst, George Bennett, B Burke, B Gibson. Also photographed is Mr Bill Horne.
The photograph was taken in the Scotland Road building.
We welcome hearing from readers who may have memories of the photograph and indeed other memories or photographs of Lee Jones Boys Club
We thank Vera Kelly (nee Wallace) for providing this photograph of her Father Eddie Wallace late of Epsom Street with 'The Arcadian Band'. Vera thinks the band members were; Drums Billy Kildare, Banjo Stan Newport, Piano Paddy Gardener & her Father Trumpet.
They played at various venues, one in particular was St James the Less [little Jimmies]. Vera also believes that there were other members of the band and they would spilt up if they had more than one engagement on the same night. She thinks there were 2 brothers by the name of Waldron. Vera asks if anyone can give more information about this band?
Sadly Vera's Father has passed on and she would also like to know if any one has any other pictures of 'The Arcadian Band'?
We thank David Moore for emailing this photo on which are pictured Edward Kelly and his daughter Christine who lived at 51c Portland Gardens together with fellow residents of Portland Gardens including Anne and John Malloy. David asks if readers can identify other faces on the photograph and perhaps provide any memories of when and why the photograph was taken.
We thank John Morgan for contacting the Scottie Press to advise that the Portland Gardens photograph (see above) was probably taken in Blackpool when those photographed visited Blackpool Illuminations. John tells us that he has some snaps of other groups of people photographed in Blackpool and can identify the background as being the same as in the Portland Gardens group photo.
John tells us that his family came from the Kirkdale area. His mother was born in Brighton Terrace and his father lived in Aspinall Street. John sends a photograph taken of Auntie Polly's Picnic to Blackpool Lights in 1938. John's not sure if Auntie Polly was his grandmother's sister. His grandmother, Emily Kennedy (nee Burns) who is pictured 3rd left back row - lived on Brighton Terrace for over 50 years.
We welcome hearing from readers who may have other photographs of people from the Scotland Road area and surrounding districts who were photographed whilst visiting Blackpool Illuminations or on other day trips.
A catalogue of photographs and other information relating to the League of Welldoers (Limekiln Lane) can now be accessed from Liverpool Records Office if you visit their website www.mersey-gateway.org
The League of Welldoers have a fine collection of photographs archived at the Lee Jones Centre, Limekiln Lane and they are always looking to add photographs to their archive. We would like to support efforts made by the League of Welldoers to record and acknowledge their history by advising readers of the League of Welldoers email address firstname.lastname@example.org
We are hoping to hear from readers who remember the Guinness Factory in Vauxhall and who may be able to recognise faces on this photograph. We hope to include the photograph in our Archive section and possibly set up a webpage for Factory Photographs which with more Factory Photographs can recall times when there was a great deal of industry in and around the Scotland Road and Vauxhall areas of Liverpool. We would like to hear from readers who may have Factory Photographs for this webapge. We also hope that the webpage can be a way that former employees of these factories can reunite themselves with former work-mates and colleagues.
Our thanks go to Pop Mallon who recognised a photo (now featured on the Projects section 'History on our Doorstep' - CAN YOU NAME THE SCHOOL - which Pop tells us pictures pupils of Major Street School.
We also thank Pop for providing us with this photo of pupils of Major Street School which Pop says was probably taken in 1948/49. Pop is pictured standing on the right hand side of the middle row of boys. The class teacher was Miss O'Donaghue.
We welcome hearing from readers who may be able to add more information about this or the other Major Street School photograph featured on the 'History on our Doorstep' webpage. We also welcome hearing from readers who have old school photographs of Major Street School or any schools local to the Scotland Road and Vauxhall area that they would like featured on the Scottie Press website.
If you were, or if you had relatives or friends, who were in the 8th (Irish) Battalion, The King's Liverpool Regiment you may be interested in a new book by Jim Fitzsimons in which Jim writes about how a soldier in this Battalion experienced infantry life during the 2nd World War - in particular the Normandy Landings on D-Day 6th June 1944. Jim was in the 8th (Irish) Battalion, The King's Liverpool Regiment from 1939 until 1944 and he took part in the D-Day Landings on Juno Beach alongside soldiers from the Canadian 3rd Division.
Jim has dedicated his book to the memory of the young men of Liverpool and surrounding areas who in early 1939 voluntarily joined the ranks of the newly reformed 8th (Irish) Battalion King's Liverpool Regiment; also the men who joined later who were then drafted into other units to carry on their war in various parts of the world. Jim relates in his book, back in the 1930s, young men reared in inner city Liverpool were well used to hard life and could be described as being ideal material for infantry soldiers.
The book will be sold in book shops but if readers would like a copy they can
contact Jim on 0151 737 1122. The books costs £6.95 plus 75p post & packaging (first class).
We thank John Morgan for providing this photograph which pictures members of a Football Team from Major Street School. The photograph was taken in 1949. John tells us that his uncle, Frank Kennedy, is pictured on the photograph and we wonder if readers will be able to identify and name other faces on the photograph. We also welcome hearing from readers may have photographs of other football teams from Major Street school.
We thank Margaret Donnelly for providing this photograph taken in 1955 which pictures young residents of Portland Garden. Margaret has also added names and we welcome hearing from readers who may like to add their memories to the photograph. Pictured on the photograph are;
JOEY KEYS - TOMMY DONNELLY - GEORGIE DONNELLY - SHIELA DONNELLY - TOMMY PRESTON - FRANNY BOYD - JIMMY KEYS - TONY HENNESSY - CHRIS PRESTON - SADIE FINNAN - BUCHANAN - REDHEAD - O'BRIEN - FOSTERS - POLANDS - DEVINES - TERESA DONNELLY - VERA DONNELLY - TINA CAVANAGH
Tens of thousands of families came to Liverpool during the Irish potato famine in the 1840s many passing through Clarence Dock Gates as they entered into the city. There is still a massive Irish community in the city and now thousands of schoolchildren in Liverpool with Irish ancestry are to learn more about their roots with a new CD-rom about the great famine. The CD explains what caused the famine and describes the experiences of those who moved to Liverpool. The CD will ensure today's youngsters and future generations learn more about the city's Irish history. In many cases the CD will explain how their ancestors came to settle in Liverpool.
The CD-rom is the second in a series being produced by Liverpool City Council in the run up to 2008 and it will be distributed in schools as well as museums and libraries. For more information visit www.liverpool08.com
You can access information about the Irish Famine and immigration of Irish families into Britain through the port of Liverpool by visiting www.mersey-gateway.org
You can also access information about the Irish community on Merseyside (today) by visiting the Merseyside Irish website - click here to visit now.
We feature three photographs taken in 1977 that picture pupils from Holy Cross, St Alphonsus and St Anthony's schools who made their First Holy Communions in that year. We will be adding these photographs to our Archive section webpages featuring the Holy Cross, St Alphonsus and St Anthony's parishes.
We welcome receiving other First Holy Communion photographs for these and other Archive webpages
We wish to add this photograph to our Archive section webpages but we have been unable to identify where the boys pictured where photographed. Can you name the school and if possible put a name to some of the faces?
We welcome hearing from readers who remember Daly's shop on Scotland Road which is pictured prior to closing.
Restoration work to Eldon Grove has now begun with workers on site clearing the area and stripping out the interior of the 90 year-old building. Eldon Grove is the last remaining original style tenement building in Liverpool and will be converted into Luxury Flats. It will be renamed Eldon Grove Village. The scheme involves 48 Flats and a number of new houses. There will also be open space containing the original railings and gas lamps. It is anticipated that the restoration work will take 9 months.
We will be featuring updated news on this work on the Scottie Press website projects webpage Eldon Grove. We welcome any old photographs of the Eldon Grove and or the Eldon Grove area. We are grateful to Mary Lynch (nee Pilgrim) for sending the photo above which pictures the tenements in Limekiln Lane with Eldon Grove in the background of the photo. Mary lived on the bottom landing of the block and she tells us that the tenement block pictured was L shaped. The part jutting out on the right hand side was Teresa's Cake Shop. People came from everywhere to buy their cakes and pies during the week. The shop was also open on Sundays and there would be big queues waiting to buy cakes for Sunday tea. On the left hand side of the block you can see a Policeman standing on the corner outside Mrs Fry's local shop - who sold sweets, tobacco, bacon, bread etc. Also on the photograph is a woman standing facing Fry's shop. That street was called Currie Street and that street had shops in it. One being Annie's fresh fish shop. The street also contained a Butchers and a Chandlers.
If you have any old photos and or memories of Eldon Grove or the Eldon Grove area please email them to email@example.com
We welcome hearing from readers who may have additional information about the above photograph which features KIRKDALE FC - photographed late 1950s or early 1960s. Pictured on the photo are Alex Wilson, Alex Hogg, John 'Tex' McGavin, Chris De'Munnick, Harry Hindle, John Lloyd, Tommy Holt, John Griffin, Billy Dinnell, Tony Rimmer, Plil Leamey and Charlie Brady.
We thank John Hayes for providing information regarding Kirkdale FC. The majority of team players' came from the Scotland Road area - with Chris DeMunnick, Alex Wilson, Tony Rimmer, Phil Leamey and Billy Dinnell living in Louis Street - Charlie Brady and John Griffin living in Lamb Street - Alex Hogg living in Vescock Street - John Lloyd living in Kew Street - Harry Hindle living in Cubbon Street - Tex McGavin and Tommy Holt came from the Everton area. They used to meet in two pubs, The Grapes - on the corner of Boundary Street and Stanley Road and in the Stanley Arms. The name Kirkdale FC was selected because it was the immediate area. John Griffin's grandson Andy Griffin currently plays at right-back for Newcastle United FC - being bought for Newcastle (from Stoke City) by Kenny Dalgleish.
these websites are based at Liverpool Central Library Records Office email firstname.lastname@example.org. Readers who are interested in their Liverpool Ancestors can access information by logging onto
Readers who are interested in photographs of Liverpool can log onto www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk
As our photograph (taken Saturday 25th October 2003) shows the demolition of Holy Cross Church is now almost complete. We have established a webpage on the Archive section of the Scottie Press website given over to the Holy Cross Parish and we welcome hearing from readers who may have photographs to add to this webpage. Click here to access this webpage.
Holy Cross Church, Great Crosshall Street, Liverpool 3 closed in 2001 and is now currently in the process of being stripped of its interior artefacts prior to being demolished. As our photograph above shows scaffolding now encircles the church. The original Holy Cross Church was established to serve a flood of Irish immigrants escaping the famine of 1847. This church was destroyed in the 2nd World War during the 1941 blitz. However, it was rebuilt in 1954. You can access additional information about Holy Cross Church by logging onto our projects webpage Pastoral Regeneration. Click Here to access now.
It is recorded that the architect for the original Holy Cross Church was Edward Welby Pugin (1834-1875) the son of Augustus Welby Pugin (1812-1852). Augustus Welby Pugin has been called the foremost British architect of the 19th century whose legacy extends far beyond his own architectural designs. He was responsible for popularising a style and philosophy of architecture that reached into every corner of Victorian life. He influenced writers like John Ruskin, and designers like William Morris (1834-1896) who was very active in designing and producing stained glass windows in partnership with Edward Burne Jones (1833-1898). It is also recorded that Augustus Welby Pugin designed stained glass windows for the Birmingham based firm of John Hardman (1811-1867) who was one of the pioneers of the stained glass revival of the 19th century.
With this in mind we have contacted the John Hardman Studios (Archives) to ask if there is any recorded connection between Pugin and Hardman and the stained glass windows in Holy Cross Church.
Pictured above is the stained glass widow above the high altar. Pictured below are the stained glass windows above the side altars left and right of the high altar.
Also photographed below is the stained glass window above the choir loft in Holy Cross Church.
Neil Phillips from the John Hardman Studios contacted the Scottie Press to advise the paper of their interest in the stained glass windows in Holy Cross Church. Neil told the paper that will provide the paper with information about the windows following some research work they have undertaken. You can access information about the John Hardman Studios by logging onto http://www.neilphillips.co.uk
You can access information about the William Morris Galley by logging onto www.lbwf.gov.uk/wmg Click Here to access now.
You can also access information about Edward Burne Jones by logging onto www.bmag.org.uk Click Here to access now.
There are pictures of stained glass windows in a variety of churches in Liverpool on the www.liverpoolpictorial.co.uk website. Click Here to access now.
We welcome hearing from readers world wide who may have a local church which has stained glass windows that are of special interest or importance we feature the website for St Nicholas Parish Church Halewood (Liverpool 25) who have windows by William Morris and Edward Burne Jones. You can view these windows if you log onto http://freespace.virgin.net/h.royden Click Here to access now.
The Scottie Press website is interested to hear from readers who might be able to help with the setting up of a webpage given over to recording the stained glass windows of churches in the Scotland Road area and surrounding districts. The closure and demolition of churches in the Scotland Road area and surrounding districts has ensured that a great deal of stained glass window art has been lost to viewing by the general public. Pictured above is the stained glass window that once occupied a prominent position above the choir loft in St Alphonsus Church, Great Mersey Street, Liverpool 5. This church was closed in 2001 and subsequently demolished.
Pictured below is the stained glass window which occupies a prominent position above the choir loft in St Mary of the Angels (Friary) Church, Fox Street, Liverpool 3. It was thought that the design for this stained glass window could be attributed to Sir Edward Coley Burne Jones who was renowned for such work.