THE FRIENDS OF
Newsletter March 2005
THE MERSEYSIDE FORUM FOR SCULPTURE, PAINTING & ALLIED CRAFTS
REPLACING THE ST GEORGES HALL PEDIMENT SCULPTURE:
We wish to re-design and install a new marble sculpture featured in the south facing Pediment of St Georges Hall. The carving and installation will be set up as a training programme involving school and college students where they will be taught the precise techniques of stone carving and masonry. This will make the sculpture a more public piece of art work that the people of Liverpool can feel more involved and connected with.
COMPANY INFO: Founded by Terance McGunigle as a direct continuation of Herbert Tyson Smith’s studio, The Merseyside Forum is a Limited Company by guarantee with charitable status. We focus on training people in traditional skills such as sculpture, painting and allied crafts with students being educated through a hands-on, practical approach. These skills can then be upheld and passed on by younger generations ensuring the techniques and crafts are never lost.
Section of the new Pediment design
by Terance McGunigle
PROJECT DETAILS: We are now affiliated with Hope & City College as well as Employ 08, Scotty Press and Creative LETS to help facilitate with our training programme. We will take on school and college students for two weeks at a time and train them in the delicate skills needed for stone carving and masonry work. Every fortnight another set of students will work with us to ensure as many people as possible have the opportunity to be involved in the project. Restoring the pediment back to its former glory carries many benefits for the city. Including the public in the scheme will help to empower the young and the community by involving them in the rejuvenation of Liverpool as part of the Capital of Culture 2008.
PROJECT COSTS & FUNDING: We are currently sourcing £20,000 funding through corporate sponsorship and public donations to raise the money to build a one sixth scale clay model of the final sculpture to facilitate in the councils decision and to help generate interest in the project.
TYSON SMITH – WALK & TALK
The Tyson Smith walk & talk ON Saturday 17th June was a great success. It started with a welcome by Pat Neill from the Friends Of Liverpool Monuments. He asked people to introduce themselves and say why they where there. This broke the ice as most of the people (over 25 of them) did not know each other. As the Bluecoat is covered in scaffolding and plastic sheeting, it was not possible to see any of the Tyson Smith pieces there. So Julie Ehlen the Program Manager from the Bluecoat explained what was happening there and that the Tyson Smith workshop had been taken apart with all the pieces numbered so it could be put back together again once other work had been completed. She said that the weeping willow tree that was planted by TS in memory of his daughter had been removed and that a miniature cherry was to take its place. (Julie was not aware until Pat Neill advised her that TS had created the garden from what had been a yard).Patrick Neill
Pat Neill then spoke about the Tyson Smith Head of Athena keystone about the Athenaeum Club front door, he then spoke about the various pieces of maritime architectural sculpture on the side of Spinney House, it was during this dialogue that Pat was interrupted by a friend of Jim McLoughlin (who is deaf & dumb) to say that Jim had not only created the entwined seahorse capitals on the Pilasters (flat pillars), he also carved the twin tailed skirted sea-nymph roundel in the TS workshop and had to carry the pieces from the there to top of Spinney House, which he found very difficult as he was only a young lad at the time.
SEE - http://www.liverpoolmonuments.co.uk/sculpture/spinney09.html
Everyone then when around to the front of Spinney House and checked out more of the Tyson Smith architectural sculpture there.
Pat then led the group to Williamson Street to checked out the two Tyson Smith mare maid roundels. From there they went to the Met Quarter where Ron Taylor (retired postal worker) gave his account of the seven year battle he had to find a home for this magnified Post Office War Memorial by Tyson Smith. Ron was thanked by Pat Neill for his presentation and for all his effects to have the memorial put on public view again.
The next stop was the French Prisoner's plaque in St John's Gardens, Pat explained this was a good example of how not to clean a monument, as the fine detail of the the carving and letter cutting had been destroyed with high pressure water cleaning, when graffiti was removed. Pat talked about the Tyson Smith Roman Trajan lettering and pointed out the serif on the letter J and how it was created and that the same serif can be seen on other if Tyson Smith War Memorials. Rob Riley talked about the superb letter cutting skills of Tyson Smith and how the letters were shaped in a certain way to slow down or speed up the reader and how letter can be spaced out or put close together for different affects.
The last of the Tyson Smith pieces to be looked at was the biggest and some say the best, the Cenotaph on St George's Plateau. Pat spoke briefly about the memorial before passing over to Andrew Richardson who explained about the competition that was held to build a memorial and how Tyson Smith had to remove his wooden mock-up as it was rumoured that some of his rivals were going to destroy his entry.
There was not time to look at the Robin Riley copy of Tyson Smith's The 'Hod Carrier' in Islington, so Paul Sudbury talked about 'The Hod Carrier' and how the original once had pride of place in Gerard Gardens. Paul talked about Gerard Gardens and his film 'Gardens of Stone'. He then went on to tell everyone how The Hod Carrier was saved from the demolition ball by the hard work of one of the contractor who drilled out the Tyson Smith sculptors of The Hod Carrier and the Architect, even though the boss had told him to smashed them to pieces.
A memorial to members of Liverpool's postal service killed in World War 1 has returned to its original home. The memorial was re-dedicated on Wed 8th March at the old post office building, which is now the Met Quarter. The memorial was originally unveiled in 1924 and commemorates 156 postal workers who lost their lives in 1914 - 1918 war. The Friends of Liverpool Monuments has been trying to assist Ron Taylor in his seven-year quest to find a permanent home for the Post Office War Memorial by Tyson Smith. Now, due to Ron's hard work, this magnificent memorial can now been seen in all its' spender at the Met Quarter.
The 'Friends of Liverpool Monuments' continue to champion the cause for all Liverpool Monuments. Recognition for Carl Bernard Bartels (the Austrian Wood Carver who designed the Liver Birds at the Pier Head), has been gained, in the form of an article on the Radio 4 programme "Making History" in January 2006. We would like to see a 'Bartels plaque' sited at the Liver Building, so as to enlighten visitors there.
We have compiled a report on the "Charles Pierre Melly Drinking Fountains", which has been sent to English Heritage. They are in the process of accessing if the nine surviving Liverpool red granite 'Melly' drinking fountains can be 'Listed', so as to preserve them for the future. We are working with United Utilities, the Culture Company and Liverpool City Council on a project to bring some of Liverpool's drinking fountains back into use. A pilot drinking fountain project is underway by Dilys Horwick of the Liverpool Culture Company, she is working with four Liverpool schools. More information should be available later this year.
We have been asked to put together some of our web site photographs and sketches for an exhibition later this year, a venue as not yet been finalised. We have had a draft Constitution for the FOLM typed-up and are in the process of tying to become a Civic Society. The next thing we must do is hold an AGM and build up our membership.
Vice Chair and web editor of the FOLM
HELP FIND A NEW HOME
FOR ST GERARD STATUE
The Community Justice Centre are looking for your help to find a new home for the St Gerard Statue that used to be a very prominent position above the entrance to St Gerard’s Primary School in Boundary Street. The old school building has been converted into the North Liverpool Community Justice Centre and as such the statue cannot be repositioned on the new building.The Community Justice Centre,
Joan Porter (Community Engagement Officer for the Community Justice Centre) said local people have a lot of respect for the statue and want to see it preserved in a safe and appropriate place. Joan is keen to hear from the local community in order that the statue can be re-housed to benefit the local community.
You can send your suggestions to
Liverpool L5 2QD.
Or telephone the Community Resource Team on 0151 298 3600.
Water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink.
I would like to applaud Liverpool City Council and other interested
parties in their endeavours to provide Drinking Fountains in Downtown
Liverpool. But I and others from the Friends of Liverpool Monuments,
object very strongly to the removal of the Byrom Street Historic
'Melly' Drinking Fountain and its relocation to a more prominent
This Drinking Fountain was given free of charge to the workingman by
Charles Pierre Melly in 1857, so they could quench their thirst. This
fountain should stay where it is as a monument to Melly and the
workingmen that had cause to use firstname.lastname@example.org
If you agree with the above, please email Patrick at the address below
LEE JONES CENTRE (Limekiln Lane)
Herbert Lee Jackson Jones was born in Runcorn in 1870. He was the son of a cotton broker. He was educated at Liverpool College, becoming proficient in art and wood engraving. Although he'd given thought to a career in the church, he gave this up to devote his life to philanthropy, funding the 'Liverpool Food Association' in 1893, soon to be renamed the 'Food and Betterment Association' and then 'The League of Welldoers' in 1909. From the earliest days his band of helpers were based in Limekiln Lane, right amongst those who he strove to serve. When it was known, in October 1936, that Jones was dying, crowds knelt outside the front corner of the building, praying for their true friend and benefactor. The front of the building was destroyed in the May 1941 blitz and only rebuilt in 1952. The figures above the door, dated 1953, are by M. Newton.
The Friends of Liverpool Monuments
Inaugural Meeting – Tuesday 18th January 2005
The inaugural meeting of The Friends of Liverpool Monuments took place on Tuesday 18th January at the Vauxhall Millennium Resource Centre. Despite it being a very cold and wintry day more than 30 people attended and all were impressed with the aims and objectives of the newly launched organisation.Ron Formby at Scottie Press
Speaking at the meeting, Patrick Neill highlighted how there is a definite need for people in Liverpool to be more aware of the city’s fine monuments and to be able to secure ways by which these monuments can be better respected and in many cases protected. It is a sad fact of life that city-wide demolition of old buildings etc during the 1970s has robbed the city of much of its cultural history and heritage.
Patrick’s sentiments were shared by many people at the meeting and it was expressed that The Friends of Liverpool Monuments could go a long way to correcting the errors of the past to ensure that the monuments in and around the city of Liverpool would be there in the future and that many more people would and could be aware of their history etc.
Patrick thanked Nancy Flanagan MBE for accepting the position of President of The Friends of Liverpool Monuments. Nancy said that she was very much aware of the importance of retaining as much of the history of the city and it’s surrounding districts and that too many monuments (paid for by ordinary people) have either been sold off or destroyed to make way for supposed improvements.
Elected as acting Chairman was Tony Siebenthaler.
Elected as Vice Chair was Patrick Neill.
Elected as Secretary was Ron Formby.
Further appointments will be made at a later date.
The Friends of Liverpool Monuments is open to public membership and in the next couple of week details of how to join The Friends of Liverpool Monuments will be published on this website and also in the Scottie Press Community Newspaper. It is a definite intention of The Friends of Liverpool Monuments to produce a regular newsletter which will feature the most up to date news about the organisation together with details of meeting times etc.
If you would like to know more about The Friends of Liverpool Monuments of if you would like to get involved please contact:
Tel 0151 330 0213 or email
You can also access information by visiting the Liverpool Monuments website http://uk.geocities.com/liverpool_monuments
THE HOD CARRIER – GERARD GARDENS
This monument which stands at the end of Christian Street is a replica of the hod carrier sculpture which once adorned Gerard Gardens. The replica statue is dedicated to those who lost their lives in the construction industry. The plinth is dedicated to the former residents of Gerard Gardens from 1937 to 1987.The original statue can be found in the Museum of Liverpool Life.
THE FRIENDS OF LIVERPOOL MONUMENTS
Very many people will see one or more of the monuments sited around Liverpool on perhaps a daily basis but may not know why they were erected etc. The Friends of Liverpool Monuments is a new organisation currently being set up, to record with photographs and words the history of these monuments. It is hoped that by doing so current and future generations of Liverpool people and indeed people world-wide will be able to access this information in a variety of ways. The inaugural meeting of The Friends of Liverpool Monuments will take place in January at the Vauxhall Millennium Resource Centre, and after this meeting it is hoped to set up a public membership.Patrick Neill
If you would like more information you can visit
Click Here to visit now.
ST ANTHONY'S CHURCHYARD MEMORIAL
PLEASE REMEMBER IN YOUR PRAYERS,
THE SOULS OF THESE MEMBERS OF THIS PARISH OF ST ANTHONY
WHO LOST THEIR LIVES AT HOME OR OVERSEAS,
DURING THE WAR OF 1939 – 1945
IN THEIR MEMORY THIS CRUCIFIX HAS BEEN ERECTED
MAY THEY REST IN PEACE
One of the most familiar landmarks on Scotland Road is the Crucifix that stands in the grounds of St Anthony’s Church.
This memorial was erected on Vauxhalll Road in 1998 to remember those people who died in the Air Raid Shelter in Blackstock Street, December 1940.