Our thanks got to Pauline Hogan (nee Cosyello) for providing this webpage with a Certificate Of Baptism for her father, John Costello. John was baptised at St Brigid's Church (Bevington Hill) on 10th June 1922, John was also confirmed at the church in 1934.
Our thanks go to Sheila Saleh for proving this webapge with three photographs which picture Sheila as May Queen for St Brigid's Parish in1952. Readers may remember Sheila as being Sheila McCall formerly of Summerseat.
It is our hope that we can develop this web page into a substantial record of the St Brigid's Parish. As such we welcome hearing from readers who may have memories and or other photographs of this occasion or other events in the St Brigid's Parish. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
David Stoker at Liverpool Record Office and Local Studies Centre has advised the Scottie Press that they hold some of the early registers for the St Brigid's Parish and some general information.
According to T Burke "Catholic History of Liverpool", 1910: "The crowded condition of Scotland and Vauxhall wards...needed.... further church accommodation. A Dissenting chapel in Bevington Bush became vacant, which was purchased for £1,560 and on 27 November 1870, was opened..."
St. Brigid's Church was badly damaged in World War Two but was restored and reopened in 1950. The parish was closed in July 1967 and a new parish opened in Cantril Farm. The old church was demolished to make way for the approaches to the second Mersey Tunnel.
For more information visit www.liverpool.gov.uk/archives