Our Lady of Reconcilliation

OUR LADY'S ELDON STREET


ALTAR MEMORIALS

warmem1.jpg - 64k

warmem2.jpg - 67k

At both ends of the main altar in Our Lady of Reconciliation Church are war memorials that record the names of people from the parish.


C.Y.M.S. TEAM

CYMSTeam.jpg - 43k

We thank Bob Lynch for sending in this photo, which pictures members of the C.Y.M.S. Football Team from Our Lady of Reconciliation Church (Eldon Street). Pictured are Sony Newcombe, R Thompson, P Lynch, R Lynch, Tommy Connelly, P Smith, Fr Grogan, J Thompson, N Fenlon, P English, F Miles, J Murphy, J Barker, E Murphy and G Murphy. Bob tells us that he thinks the photo was taken in 1972. We welcome hearing from readers who can confirm this and perhaps add some more information.


OUR LADY'S ELDON STREET 1971

Our Lady's School 1971
Our Lady's Girls 1971 Our Lady's Girls 1971

Our thanks go to Bob Lynch for providing this webpage with three photographs taken in 1971, which picture aspects of Our Lady's Eldon Street School. We welcome hearing from readers who may be able to identify the pupils pictured and or tell us more about the school in the early 1970s.

PORTLAND STREET IN THE 1930s

Portland Street Kids 1930

We thank Bob Lynch for also sending us this photo of children living in Portland Street in the 1930s. We welcome hearing from readers who may have memories of Portland Street and welcome old photographs of the street, it's residents' etc for inclusion on this webpage.



MASS TO CELEBRATE THE 150TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE PARISH

150th Anniversary Mass.

Past and present parishioners of Our Lady of Reconciliation de la Salette attended a special mass at the church in Eldon Street on Sunday 19th September 2004, which celebrated the 150th Anniversary of the parish.

The parish of Our Lady of Reconciliation de la Salette was originally established in 1854. It is a daughter parish of St Anthony's, Scotland Road, and was originally dedicated to St Helen, mother of Constantine and discoverer of the true cross. The first church was a converted warehouse in Blackstock Street. The parish was established to cater for the large numbers of Irish people coming to Liverpool at the time of the famine (1847). A number of Lithuanians also came from 1870 onwards.

Our Lady's Eldon Street

The first Parish Priest was Fr. Vandepitte, a Belgian priest. He built the present church (in Eldon Street) which opened on the 15th August 1860. The church is in 'Pugin Gothic' style3 designed by Edward Pugin the son of the famous architect Augustus Welby Pugin. By permission of the Holy See the parish was dedicated to Our Lady of Reconciliation de la Salette.

One of the great features of the church are the Altar Rails. These are of Belgian Oak, beautifully and intricately carved. They commemorate the men of the parish who died in the 1914-1919 war. Their names appear on two plaques either side of the altar rails.

Above you will see the great Crucifix with the figures of Our Lady and St John on either side. And higher still you will see the stained glass windows with images of the saints.

On the left you will see the Lady Altar. It is a gift of the Lithuanian community, along with the first copy of the famous miraculous picture of Our Lady of Vilna - afterwards called Our Lady of Kaunas.

On the right is the Altar of St Joseph with scenes in marble of the nativity and the death of St Joseph.

The church is 84 feet high from the floor to the top of the inner roof and 120 feet high to the top of the outer roof. High in the west wall of the church is a large Rose Window.

We are currently trying to record the history and heritage of the Our Lady of Reconciliation de la Salette parish onto the Scottie Press website's Archive section. We welcome hearing from readers who may have old photographs. You can access the archive webpage if you click here.


150TH ANNIVERSARY MASS

Our Lady's Church

We take this opportunity to feature 3 photographs taken at the 150th Anniversary Mass for the parish of Our Lady of Reconciliation de la Salette on Sunday 19th September 2004.

bishmas.jpg - 39k interior1.jpg - 36k

OUR LADY'S ELDON STREET CHURCH
150TH ANNIVERSARY

Dear Scottie Press,
There will be a Special Mass at Our Lady of Reconciliation (Eldon Street) Church on Sunday 19th September to mark the 150th Anniversary of the Church and Parish. The Mass will start at 10.30am and will be celebrated by the Archbishop of Liverpool. Over the last few months work has been done to return the church back to its former glory,This help has come from people all over Liverpool. Brian Jones and his fellow site workers, Tony McGann, The Oil Street Travellers, Crown Scaffolding, The Probation Service, Barclaycard, All the Shops and Pubs in the Parish. But not least the Church Members.

We would especially like to hear from past and present parishioners who may have old photographs for use in a special exhibition to be mounted at the back of the church.

Yours sincerely,
IVY GREEN


A LITHUANIAN LEGACY

olvilna.jpg - 30k olaltar.jpg - 36k

Pictured above is the Lady Altar at Our Lady's Church which was a gift from the Lithuanian Community, along with the first copy of the famous miraculous picture of Our Lady of Vilna - afterwards called Our Lady of Kaunas.Pictured below is Father Sibert (Parish Priest at Our Lady of Reconciliation de la Salette) with a group of church parishioners - with the Lady Altar in the background

Father Siberts and Parishioners

Readers can find more information on the Lithuanian Community by Clicking Here

OUR LADY'S (ELDON STREET)

Our Lady's Eldon Street Class Photograph

Our Lady's Eldon Street May Queen

We have been asked if the Scottie Press website can locate and feature any photographs of pupils from Our Lady's of Reconciliation (Eldon Street) School. We take this opportunity to feature a school photograph and a photograph taken in Our Lady's of Reconciliation (Eldon Street) Church. We will be pleased to hear from any readers who recognise any of the faces and the photographs and who may be able to provide additional information.