AROUND OLD SCOTTIE ROAD
We picture a 1928 map of part of the world famous Scotland Road and hope that there will be website readers who remember when the area was very much similar in layout, prior to the building of the second Mersey Tunnel. This work was to see great changes and much of the areas population moved out to the new town districts of Liverpool. It also saw many fine buildings demolished.
There has always been an opportunity to record the memories of past and present residents of the Scotland Road area and over the past 30 or so years this has been achieved. The variation in recorded memory relies heavily on when people lived in the area and what they remember. There will be few alive who remember cows and sheep being driven up streets in the Scotland Road area on their way to the abbatoir. Or when people could shop on both Scotland Road and Great Homer Street until after 12'o'clock at night. It is recorded that on Scotland Road there was at one time 25 tailors shops with some firms having 3 separate shops on the road.
The Scottie Press website has a varied mix of webpage given over to recording the history of the Scotland Road area and we welcome and encourage readers to help the Scottie Press establish a most comprehensive archive facility whereby current and future generations can truly read what it was like 'around Scottie Road' from the road's creation in 1803 up to the present day.
The Scottie Press would be very interested to hear the memories of readers with regards to;
- The Neighbourhood - Community Spirit
- Family Life
- Special Occasions - Christenings, Weddings Funerals etc
- Wash-House days
- Food & Shopping - Local Shops and Markets
- Work (Men & Women)
- Outings & Holidays
- Religion and Politics
If you have memories, information and or photographs, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
SCOTLAND ROAD AND VAUXHALL'S
To provide a straight road to the north, Scotland Road was begun in 1803 and by the 1830s the tide of building had set in with considerable vigour on either side of it. At the end of the century it was described as a thoroughfare having alongside it a greater mass of the poorest classes than anywhere else in Liverpool, with many shops offering the necessaries of life at the smallest price and a gorgeous array of public houses. Scotland Road was noted for its spirited close-knit community and for St Martin's Market, always known as Paddy's Market. The name given to it because of its situation in the heart of the quarter where the Irish element was predominant. Opened in 1826 it was intended as a retail provision and vegetable market but soon became a centre for second hand clothing and footwear. It was visited by customers from all over Merseyside and was popular with foreign seamen, for whom second hand hats were a particular attraction.
Of the Vauxhall area as early as 1851 it had been written that besides the docks, the railways and the canal the "great features of the quarter are... the manufacturing establishments and warehouses". By 1908 coal yards, gas works, engine and boiler works, oil mills, chemical works, breweries, sugar refineries, artificial manure works were concentrated in the neighbourhood. The environment was described as "unsavoury" with noxious fumes and vapours emitted from alkali works on Vauxhall Road. Very prominent on Vauxhall Road was the Vauxhall Chimney, which was completed in 1842 and stood 312 feet high. It was designed to carry sulphurous fumes high above the town. It also acted as a navigational aid for seamen proceeding inward and it survived until it's demolition in 1921. Besides the chemical works the big sugar refineries were notable, Fairrie's spanning Vauxhall Road, Henry Tate & Sons (later Tate & Lyle) in Love Lane.
By the second half of the 19th Century the Vauxhall/Scotland Road area was one of overcrowding, with streets filled with thick smoke and foul vapours, houses and courts squeezed in amongst industrial premises. The corporation had been demolishing unsanitary property since the 1860s and as an exemplary provision of working class housing had built St Martin's Cottages in 1869, the first council houses in England. It was not until the end of the century however that the Corporation replaced demolished housing on any scale. The prize-winning Victoria Square Dwellings were built in 1885, Juvenal Street Dwellings in 1890, Arley Street and Gildarts Gardens Dwellings in 1897. Between 1901 and 1907 further Dwellings were built in Dryden, Adlington, Kew, Kempston and Hornby Streets. The Eldon Street Labourer's Concrete Dwellings were built in 1905. Accommodation was also needed for the floating population of labourers and dockers, as many as 14,00 of whom, it was estimated at the end of the 19th century could be seeking lodgings each night. One attempt at solving this problem was the opening of the Bevington Bush Hotel (later Arden House) in 1900 by Liverpool People's Homes Ltd. This building offered 500 sleeping rooms, which were wonderfully clean and cheerful. They were for the sober working man, there being no admittance for the habitual drinker.